Skills Exploration Days
Skills Exploration Days is a one-day, virtual event on December 1, 2021!
The purpose of Skills Exploration Days is to:
- Inspire Junior High students to identify inherent skills and interests.
- Connect students’ skills and interests to trade and technology careers through interactive, hands-on experiences that promote creativity, empathy, and exploration.
- Promote trade and technology careers as a valuable and rewarding career choice.
Building on the Maker Day model and Alberta Education’s Career and Technology Foundations (CTF) Program of Studies, students will be introduced to skilled trade and technology careers as they design, tinker and build!
Skills Exploration Days is continuing virtually, with a re-vamped program! New this year, Skills Exploration Days includes Learn-A-Skill kits in a variety of trade and technology areas. The kits are for use in your classroom, providing students with career exploration, skill development and the opportunity to imagine and tinker.
In-class exploration and practice with various tools and materials will lead up to one virtual day where students will be guided through the Design Thinking process by the SCA Education Facilitator and will be tasked with solving a design challenge. Students will implement the skills they learned using the Learn-A-Skill kits to design and build a prototype. This in-person facilitation will take place on December 1, 2021.
Toolboxes & Career Kits
Registered schools will be provided with a toolbox that will include the tools and materials students will need to build their prototype, as well as the unique Learn-A-Skill kits for each career area. Schools that took part in the 2020 Skills Exploration Days and received toolkits will be provided with a “top up” toolbox, and new schools will receive the full toolbox. These toolboxes will remain with the school to support your programs!
Unlike other SCA programs, at Skills Exploration Days, there are no winners or medals, just the freedom to explore, make mistakes and try again!
How to Get the Most Out of Skills Exploration Days
- Be sure to check out the Skills Exploration Days Teacher Guide (Posted Soon). This step by step guide will ensure all your questions are answered to ensure you have a successful Skills Exploration Days experience.
- Expand your knowledge and learn about classroom implementation in the teacher resource: Taking Making into Classrooms: A Toolkit Fostering Curiosity and Imagination in Alberta Classrooms.
A special thank you to Susan Crichton and Deb Carter from the Innovative Learning Center at UBC for their inspirational work in the Maker Movement and for assisting in the concept and content development of Skills Exploration Days.